Capitol Reef National Park is one of five national parks in Utah (known as “The Mighty Five”). Capitol Reef is the 4th most visited of the parks with about 1.4 million visitors per year.
Capitol Reef is located in central-southern Utah. It is VERY far away from any major population centers and airports. Because it’s OUT THERE, it is most commonly visited in conjunction with other Utah National Parks such as Arches and Bryce.
Capitol Reef is about 60 miles long and only about 6 miles wide. There are three sections:
- Fruita & the Central District
- Cathedral Valley District
- Waterpocket Fold District
Fruita is where the Visitor Center is located and it is easily the most visited section of the park. It’s also more developed, with paved roads and some amenities.
The other sections are basically backcountry sections with dirt roads (but not to be overlooked!).
- Sign up for our newsletter! We send interesting information about different places in the west.
Top things to do
Here are some of the best things to see and do:
This is an old pioneer town with historic buildings, fruit orchards, horse pastures, and there’s only one campground in the park. Take some time to walk around this charming little place that sits tucked within towering red cliff walls.
- For lodging options, use Booking.com
This is a dirt road located at the end of the paved 8-mile Capitol Reef Scenic Drive. Driving on this dirt road will take you through towering white rock canyon walls, an experience you won’t forget! Get out at the end for a 2-mile round-trip walk through a flat dry wash and search for petroglyphs and the Pioneer Register, where the pioneers signed their names.
This is a 2-mile round-trip hike that is rated moderate but has a steep climb at the beginning. You’ll see the Fremont River, Capitol Dome, Pectol’s Pyramid, and Hickman Bridge (a big arch) on the most scenic hike in the park.
Watch a Sunset
Capitol Reef is a wonderful place to watch sunsets because the setting sun splashes on the west-facing red and white rock walls.
Plan your trip
Easy Trip Itinerary
- Need a game plan for your National Park trip? We offer must-have travel guides to many National Parks (Capitol Reef coming soon).
Articles and Videos
- The Best of Capitol Reef: 14 things to do
- 5 things we hate about Capitol Reef
- 5 things we love about Capitol Reef
- 9 mistakes to avoid when visiting Capitol Reef
- Where to watch a sunset or sunrise at Capitol Reef National Park
- Capitol Reef’s 4 Incredibly Scenic Drives